"Karen McDougal is as all-American as you can get, see how this fitness cover girl keeps in such great shape in her 40's!"
1. Karen I know you have always been fit and fitness has been a great part of your life. Any suggestions you can give us girls over 40 on how to stay in great shape?
1. I've always been fit....it came naturally and easy. However, now that I'm 45, it's more challenging, lol. I really enjoy my food and desserts/junk food/sugar. I know eventually I'll have I cut back but for now, I'll just up the cardio (from 30 min to 40). My advice for women over 40? I'd say 1st get your hormones checked...that can really make a difference in the fat u carry (as well as health in general..the way u feel, etc)...I’d prob eat less junk as well...but def enjoy your favorites every now and then...just make sure to get your cardio in...at least 5 days a week. Would make a big difference if you threw some weight lifting in as well...will time you and give better shape to your already "beautiful" body (and confidence). Remember, age is just a number...we can be whatever we want to be!!
2.You were all the things I wanted to be in high school, cheerleader, athlete and band member. I see that you studied tap dance and ballet, are you still doing dancing or music these days?
2. The best part of high school...was cheerleading. I cheered 7-12 grade and I contribute that to be being lean (and my signature splits)! Those days ended (clearly)...but I can still do those splits!! I played the clarinet as well...loved it but haven't touched it since I graduates high school. Marching season I was in the color guard and I enjoyed that as well. Oh the memories!!
3.You have appeared in countless fitness magazines and swimwear issues, is there anything that you are especially proud of that stands out for you in your career?
3. Things I'm proud of in my career...I was the 1st woman to grace the Men's Fitness magazine cover !! I was honored they asked me (that’s actually how I got started in the fitness world). It was a whole different world then Playboy and the modeling I did for Mags, Calendars, campaigns, etc! I loved both sides of the "model world"...!! I've done a few other fitness magazine covers (and 10 page spreads/features) over the years. I love getting a cover...that's the best feeling!! Coming from a very small town in Michigan, I felt God blessed me and allowed me to fulfill my dreams! One more thing...as a child, I always told my mom that I wanted a "Karen Barbie" (my nickname was always Barbie growing up)...well, years later Playboy made that happen. They made a Karen doll. I feel like "dreams do come true"!!
4.What advice would you give models of today who may want to get into fitness and bodybuilding as a career?
4. Advice to younger models ...Be yourself...so what U want to do and not what others tell you u have to do. There will be a lot more "NO's" then "YES"....don't let that get to your head. Keep pushing and go after your dream!! Trust me...I've experienced a lot of "no’s"!!
5.What is your diet like now?
5. My diet?' LMAO!! Bad question for me...I still eat everything and anything. I'm a certified junk food junkie!! Like I said earlier though, it's really getting more challenging to keep that up. Eventually I'll have to "grow up", lol.
6.What next for you Karen and where can we find more on you?
6. Filming a movie this summer (I'll keep u posted)....also, about to start hosting a sports based radio show (starting off in Phoenix)....then expanding to other areas/stations. I'm one of 2 hosts..it's going to be sports, mixed with comedy, mixed with sexy (and that's all I can say for now)! It's a really fun show. To stay up to date with these shows or to just "keep up" please follow me at www.karenmcdougal.com (it's currently not up and running right now)....also, Facebook is under Karen McDougal ...Twitter is @Karenmcdougal98 and Instagram is KarenMcDougal. I look forward to being "friends" with all of you. Please feel free to ask any fitness/health questions that u have. Lots of love!!